Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ten Ways To stop Fleas. Yikes.

Fleas are a problem for most people at best. Fleas are annoying and irritating to our pets and some humans as well. My mother cannot tolerate insect bites of any kind, and the bites swell up on her. So if you imagine that a mosquito bite on you, think of fleas on your furry babies. Now last year we had a real bad bout of fleas here, I along with the cats where just beside ourselves. Flea baths, flea floor spray, and of course the treatment on the shoulder blades. So here are ten things to do. I did get the gist of the information from one of my fave web sites, but the comments are purely me. 1. Spot on treatments. These include Advantage II, Pet Guard, Sentry, and others. I have to watch what I put on my Little Sophia, she can only tolerate Advantage II. The rest have something in them that makes her really sick, no matter how carefully it is applied. I almost forgot there is a brand that is what I will call organic, not as effective but she can tolerate that one really well, cannot remember the name but it's pretty good. 2.Oral medications. These come from your vet. If you have children these are the best as you don't have to wait for them to dry for the kids to be able to play or pet the kitty. 3.Flea shampoos, these can be effective but, just try bathing a clawing scratching wet cat who really, really, doesn't want a bath. These are only effective for about two weeks and then you can don the steel elbow length gloves again. Be my guest. 4. Flea collars. I do not recommend at all. Some people use them I have a great fear of pet choking. Or if indoor outdoor pet, getting caught on something and you get the picture. I am sure the pet collar people hate me now. Goes with the territory. 5. Powder and sprays, though may be effective, they can be tricky to apply and you have to not breath it nor should the animal, then there is the whole Sophia Jinx grooming thing, not so good. Okay so I alienated another group of people. Deal with it. 6. Vacuum your house. This needs to be done daily and also run the hose attachment along the base boards inside the couch, you get the drift. Wash all of the animals bedding, and yours as well. Don't forget the cat tree houses either. 7.Household sprays and foggers. If you got them bad this may be your only way to eliminate the problem. Call Orkin, Rose, or any reliable company. The pets and your self have to leave, and the pets need to be gone a full 48 hours. Expensive I know. 8. Flea traps, never have seen these so not real sure about them, maybe someone out there has, let me know. 9. Clean Your House, I mean go through it like a mad dog, because of course you are at this point. You should throw the drapes and throw pillows in the dryer hot setting for about ten minutes. Sweep hardwoods and tiled floors good, and mop with a good cleaning product, clean the kitty toys or hey maybe they need new ones so throw em out. Get Jekyll new boxes to sleep in and well it's fall time to get going and clean up. 10. Keep your yard clear. Mow that lawn, keep weeds and brush down, and maybe have someone come in and spray your lawn, just remember that the animals cannot walk on it for a period of time. Check with the company you hire. I know this is a lot of info, but you and your family well be much happier for it all. Happy Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment