Thursday, August 21, 2014

Top Reasons your Cat Hates the Litter Box.

Well I know this one first hand, I have a very finicky cat who cannot tolerate a dirty litter box, he is right now laying on the floor tired from his walk. Passed out more like it. Now at my house when I mean dirty it better not have any lumps in it at all. He prefers the litter box in the bathroom and I keep that one probably the cleanest. This litter box is a large Sterlite brand storage container, and fits him to a T. Placement is very important to cats and sometimes depending on your situation it can be very trying to figure out what is the best place. Currently I also have litter boxes in my backroom, which on laundry day finds me dodging cats and boxes. I have read suggestions that if you have a spare closet, try that for the cat to have privacy. I find that if the cat has that kind of privacy someone will surly try and corner said cat in the box and cause a ruckus. So no closets or lids on said litter boxes. If you have a quite corner maybe block it with a screen of some type. You could easily make one. I could look up plans and show you how. Of course you can buy all types of fancy furniture to put litter boxes in, but hey they can be expensive. Changing litter can cause issues for some cats, and I have had some litters I refuse to buy as the smell offends me. So I try and get something that is low odor, and or no odor. Cats are very sensitive to certain smells, and if it smells bad to you think what it smells like to them. Finding the right litter box is important as well. Like I said I have one that is very large for my Big Guy, and he likes it. If a litter box is to small you can end with a cat who very well may find somewhere else to go to the bathroom. Changes in a cats environment can also cause litter box issues, if your household under goes changes a cats habit may change as well. A cat with anxiety is not a happy cat. So if you have changes in the home, remember the cat is effected as well. Territorial disputes can cause problems as well, I know this first hand as I have five cats. Yes I am nuts. I have seen this one first hand and it usually involves Momma Cat. If someone thinks he or she is not getting enough attention it causes problems and my special guy pees on the floor just outside of the litter box, or my favorite on my bathmat when I forget to hang it over the tub. So as you can see lots of things effect a cat and their litter box uses. But the one thing I didn't say was... if it seems to be a drastic change in your cat call a vet. So that's the scoop for today. Happy Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment