Monday, April 21, 2014

It's a Fact Jack, I mean Cat.

So on to more interesting facts from the Reader's Digest. This is really quite a good publication, and Thanks Mom. I receive it as a Christmas gift and read it cover to cover. So this segment is about "The Best (and Worst) Foods for Us. Remember, that the digestive system of an animal is different than ours. Raisins and grapes can shut down a dog's kidneys. Other dangerous foods include chocolate, coffee, macadamia nuts, and avocado. If you want my coat thick and shiny, make sure my diet has plenty of essential fatty acids. Most high quality commercial pet foods have enough. Pets on low quality foods or homemade made have dull coats. Now I know for some people high priced food is out of reach. I am one to mix my foods and use high and medium price mix. Every bag of pet food has an Association of American Feed Control Officials statement on the label. Look for one that has undergone animal feeding trials rather than one that's "formulated" by a computer. Those trials are expensive but they do make sure an animal has ate the food for six months with good results. Did you hear the hype about grain-free cat and dog food? I sure have everyday. That's what it is: hype. There's nothing wrong with feeding me grains, they can actually be an important part of a balanced diet. But before you make any changes talk to a vet. Do not give your pets raw meat, it is not good for them. It can cause bacterial infections which also can put humans at risk if they have weakened immune systems if they come in contact with animal waste. I know that description not so pretty but neither are sick animals or humans. There is more to this article but I will let you digest it for a few days then report more. Digest, get it. Well we had a lovely day on the home front, the kitties enjoyed the mild weather and having the windows open, they were a bit clingy, as I had been gone for a night. But all is well here, Jinx is still running crazy through the house, Sophia is still letting everyone know she's large and in charge. Go Sophia. Happy Cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment